Monday, October 29, 2012

American Dream Follow-Up

Now in my last post I told you guys how the American Dream is different from person to person and how the perception of the American Dream can be very misleading. Click here for that blog. Today I am going to tell you all a story (because who doesn't like stories). There once lived a man in India. Oh yeah, by the way this man is my dad. Well after living his whole life in a low income family, he was able to go to a college in India named Alighar University. There he got his PHD in chemistry.

After marrying my mom, he moved to England for a low paying chemist job and to finish his education. After living in England for one and a half years, almost two, he moved to Birmingham, Alabama. He worked as an assistant to one of the professors in UAB. He lived in an old campus apartment and with the money he was able to save he bought his first car. It wasn't anything flashy, just an old beaten down Nissan. After living in Alabama for nine years, he received a job offer from a relatively big medicine company called Eli Lilly. By this time both me and my sister were born.

This picture was taken approximately 5 years ago. Me and my
dad playing some basketball.
So we all moved to Indiana. This time we lived in a bigger town house in Plainfield  Indiana. Still my dad believed he could do more. He believed that he could put my sister and I in a better position for both our social and educational lives. Then after a year he got a even better job offer for a chemical company out in Boston, Massachusetts called Arqule. There he traded in his old Nissan and bought two new cars, a 2001 Corolla and a 2001 Sienna, both made by Toyota. But after only another year passing we moved back to Indiana because he got an even better offer back in Eli Lilly. This time, my dad and mom decided that Carmel, Indiana (click here to see top 100 cities to live in) would be a better place for my sister and I to grow up. At first we lived in a townhouse but after one year my dad decided to buy his own house. Soon we moved in. Our house is a two story house with a yard (kinda like the stereotype).

We have now lived in this house for over nine years. My dad set a goal for himself, to put my sister and I in the best position possible, and I believe he has achieved that and much more. 

No comments:

Post a Comment